Wednesday, January 07, 2004

I have heard for years that the smaller companies hire a lot of illegals, but I've rarely heard rumors about the larger corporations doing so, especially on such a large scale as this lawsuit is claiming. There's no doubt that North Georgia is full of illegals, they must be working somewhere...

I've only read a little bit about immigration reforms that are being proposed, but I'm going to run my mouth anyway.

I don't think it's a bad thing.

That comment will likely see me ostracized from the ranks of conservatives.

Why would I make such an outlandish statement? Because they (illegal immigrants) are going to come anyway. And some companies WILL hire them, regardless of what the law says.

If we were somehow able to magically close the borders up airtight, I think a couple of things would happen. I foresee huge problems in the short term for vegetable/fruit farmers who have labor intensive crops. In the longer term, say four or five years, manufacturers who use a lot of unskilled/semi-skilled labor will re-locate... to Mexico.

We need some way to get a grip on this mess, this may not be the best way, but from what I can undertand this will at least help us have some idea of who is crossing our borders and living/working here. I realize that I'm going off half cocked with incomplete information, but that's just my gut feeling right now.