Monday, January 26, 2004

I think I had a conversation about this with Stick at one time, but I can't remember for sure.

I read all the time, primarily history, but I read quite a bit of fiction as well. Several months ago I read The Colditz Story (good book by the way). I thought it very interesting the way the POW's held up. Most of the prisoners that the book dealt with were British. Some of them seemed to almost treat it as a game. I thought that was somewhat odd. I haven't read very many books about POW camps, but I couldn't remember ever reading anything along those lines before.

The whole time I was reading it, something kept tickling the back of my mind. The story reminded me of something but I couldn't place what. That drives me bonkers. It was a while after I'd read it that it occurred to me what it was.

Stalky & Company by Kipling. Colditz reminded me of that... the difference being at Colditz, they had armed guards who would shoot you if you got out of line.

So, does an English public school education prepare one for incarceration in a German POW camp?