Friday, February 27, 2004

Several North Georgia SCV camps are in trouble with the statewide organiztion over their support for the "new" state flag (aka Sonny's flag, as opposed to Roy's flag). The Georgia division claims to be neutral in this fight because they want to go back to the 1956 flag (St. Andrews cross, which is not on the ballot tuesday).

The way "King Roy" went about changing the old flag infuriated people more than actually changing it (the fact that Roy's rag was butt ugly didn't help either) and in my opinion cost him the election. I understand why he thought it needed to be done, but I think we could've fought off any boycotts and any other B.S. that the PCer's tried to throw at us. There is way too much money flowing through this state for a South Carolina style boycott to work. I believe Georgia could've weathered that storm without any difficulty at all.

I don't think we'll ever be able to go back to the '56 flag now that it's gone. I hate to say it, but I don't ever see the old flag coming back. Maybe it's for the best. I can't say for sure, because I've not walked in the shoes of those who find it offensive.

I actually kinda like the new one... not as much as the flag I grew up under, but I still like it.

The way I see it, the only good thing to come out of all this mess is to change it from a pissing contest between us and people from out of state who want to tell us what to do and turned it into a debate amongst ourselves.

(that was a crappy sentence, but I don't another way to say it)