Friday, April 09, 2004

'twas a gorgeous day today, but instead of playing farmboy I decided to do something different. I went to a matinee showing of the Alamo. I was impressed for the most part. There were a few things that I saw in it that go against the traditional version of the story. The acting was excellent. Billy Bob Thornton's version of Crockett was probably the very best I've seen. How the folks who grew up seeing Fess Parker as Davy Crockett will take it is the question.

As far as "looking" authentic goes, they did a great job. The costumes/clothing looked good. The sets looked great. The weapons were correct. It did tickle me to see Sam Houston riding a what I'm pretty sure is a Doug Kidd "Hope" saddle similair to the one that I have. I didn't see a whole lot to quibble over. My main question is all the standing around on the battlements in full view of the Mexican army... and with all these riflemen from Tennessee, why weren't they picking off the Mexican artillery crews two hundred yards away?

LTC Alan Huffines, a guy I used to ride with (back when I had hair and I wasn't fat as a pig) was the military advisor for the film.

All in all, it's a fine movie. I'm trying to gather up some of the guys to go see it again. I'd like to go with a whole passel of us so we can sit around and argue about it afterwards.