Monday, June 07, 2004

There is not a lot I can say about President Reagan that isn't being said much more eloquently by others.

I grew up during his years in office. I well remember the Ford/Carter years when it seemed that the whole country was going to hell in a handcart. I think we hated ourselves because of Watergate, Vietnam, double-digit inflation and a host of other reasons.

Then along came this actor from California.

A man full of boundless optimism and love of country, who had a vision of what we could and should be as a nation. I firmly believe he single handedly brought us out of the self-loathing that characterized the seventies. He reminded us that we did indeed live in the greatest nation in the world.

A hundred years from now, I think he will be regarded as one of our greatest Presidents.