Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The entire concept of using equines for dog food (or glue, or whatever they do with them these days) bothers me because, unlike cattle, sheep etc. Horses are in a gray area between pets and livestock. Most horses that end up going to the rendering plant have been neglected and/or abused their entire lives. These animals aren't being raised for the purpose of becoming part of the food chain, but that is where many of them end up. That is the primary reason I don't go to sales. There are too many things one sees there that just don't sit well and there is not much anyone can do about it. There are Equine rescue organizations, but like my bride, they can't save them all.

I highly doubt that this is a lucrative business to be in. I think the whole thing attracts the bottom feeders of society.