Thursday, July 01, 2004

I have corn. Unfortunately it's too %&*^# wet to go pick any of it. I was able to grab about a dozen ears tonight to "taste test", but I dread getting the rest of it. Luckily it's not all coming in at once, I have some now and I'll have some towards the end of next week.

My bride thinks I'm crazy because I will sometimes shuck it and eat it raw standing in the field. I brought it in and cooked it tonight though. The ears are a bit small, but it seems to have a good taste. I'd rather have taste than size any day.

On the plus side, the next cutting should be really good, provided I can get rid of the Johnsongrass on my leased ground.

Anybody know what I can kill Johnsongrass with besides Roundup and a Wick applicator (which I do not have)? I've looked, but haven't been able to find anything. 2-4-D won't do the trick. I heard from someone that Poast will, but I'm concerned about it killing that whole field. For the time being, I plan to run down there with the batwing and knock the tops out of it before it gets too big.... I'm hoping the Bermudagrass will choke it out.

That, I'm afriad, is wishful thinking. I never should've put that two tons of Nitrate on it last summer. Live and learn.