Saturday, August 21, 2004

Wondered where I've been?

Didn't think so.

Anywaaay, it been a velly, velly interesting week.

In farming news, I managed to bale about 250 bales out of 500+. The rest is floating right now, whether I try to bale it for mulch or let it rot is the question of the day. I have not seen such a gawd-awful storm as we had yesterday in a long, long time. We got the last of the hay off the ground as the rain started falling. I had just broke a shear pin in the borrowed baler I'm using (a NH 275, about the same age as our NH 273, but it makes a MUCH nicer bale) when I felt a raindrop hit the back of my neck. I whipped out my handy-dandy cell phone and called TH to ask if I could borrow a big tarp (we already had a wagon and a trailer loaded down and parked in the barn, so there no room for another wagon) he volunteered to bring it to me since it was raining hard at his place then. The storm came from the southwest and he lives south of me. We were able to get the wagon covered before it got too terribly wet, so I don't think it's hurt. Hope not anyway.

The guys that were hauling for me unloaded the first wagon during the storm and they also unloaded another load that was a tad green out in the field. We stacked it on pallets and covered it, so it might accidentaly be salvageble too.

It's probably a good thing I popped that shear pin, otherwise I'd have still been baling and called about the tarp too late for it to do me any good.