Monday, September 06, 2004

Loooong weekend

So much going on that I'm at a loss where to begin, so I'll do a brief rundown of everything now and try to go into more detail later this week.

Adventures in tractor shopping in Northern Alabama with stops in Scottsboro and Skyline, complete with side trip across Sand Mountain. Quick observation; the thriving metropolis of Hollywood Alabama has a "Town Limits" sign rather than a "City Limits" sign. Good to see some folks who aren't pretentious.

The Hesston dealer in Henegar claims that the high capacity inline baler will bale 400 bales an hour. I personally think that's horseshit and would like to see one in action.

Elvis has a new playmate. A splendid looking Bluetick that Bigger Brother came dragging down here Friday. This poor dog has been a house dog all his life, so this should be interesting how he adapts.

We've finally started on the barn addition. Got the holes dug Friday evening, still working on setting posts. Further proof that I am an idiot comes from the fact that I didn't buy enough posts (or concrete) and the posts I bought are too long. Not a problem as they can be cut off, but I paid a lot more for them than I would've paid for the proper length to begin with. I hope to have everything boxed in and start setting rafters by the weekend. We'll see. None of my plans seem to working out in a timely fashion of late.

Baby, the little mare that Sweetie came dragging home from the sale two months ago, is in bad shape. I am afraid she will have to be put down. We'll know more about her tomorrow when the vet gets some blood samples.

Saw a JD 4020 on Sand Mountain that was an LPG. That's the first one I've ever seen down here. They were popular in the Midwest and Texas but it's a strange sight in the South.

Someone bushhogged my big field down the road, so I may be out of the hay business this year. I haven't talked to the owner yet, so I have no idea what the deal is with that. I do know that I am in deep doo-doo, because I'm going to come up very short now.

And finally, I seem to be coming down with some sort of creeping crud. I'll undoubtedly feel like crap for the next few days until this passes.