Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Relics of my youth

Yes, I'm still playing with my camera.



Left to right: 1860 Officers Sabre (original), Uberti Colt Walker, Uberti Second Model Dragoon. Notice how the loading lever of the Walker is "hanging" down a bit? Every time I shoot that thing with a heavy load, the recoil makes it drop, which is why the Dragoons and all the later revolvers have that little latch on the end of the barrel. The reason these guns are carried in pommel holsters is because they are heavy, over four pounds each...empty. No one in their right mind carries these things as a belt gun (except for 18 year old kids who don't have any better sense... and as Forrest Gump would say that's all I have to say about that.) This is the reason most people refer to them as "Horse" pistols... or boat anchors.

Note: I actually made these pommel holsters (some folks call 'em saddle holsters) myself... and I will never, ever make another pair.



Closeup of the other side of the grip of the Dragoon.



And to maybe, just maybe follow Big Daddy Possum's lead, I may, or may not, be in this picture. Most likely not, but one can never tell.