Monday, January 03, 2005

Equine sugery

I mentioned our little holiday crisis the other day, so today I have a few pictures.


This is Ben. I have no idea what his registered name is, but we call him Ben. He's an 11 year old appendix bred Quarterhorse (which basically means he's more Thoroughbred than Quarterhorse). He has the height of a Thoroughbred, but he's built more solidly, which, along with his excellent disposition, came from his Quarterhorse bloodlines.

There's not anything really gross here, but for the squeamish, you may want to stop scrolling now....


Here we have young Ben standing in his stall asking "why in the hell are you taking my picture?" Note his belly has been shaved.


And here we have a closeup of his shaven belly with his nifty scar that he can brag about to the other horses.


Finally, we have a closeup of his new conversation piece.


I would very much like to see a colic surgery. From what Sweetie has told me, they pretty much cut him open, took out his intestines, cleared the two impactions and put everything back in. It sounds like a vile process, but I think it would be very interesting to watch.