Friday, July 08, 2005

Reinforcing a few sterotypes

When I was in middle school, roughly about the time Smokey and the Bandit came out, our Sheriffs department got new vehicles. Trans Ams. Yes indeed. I think they finally got rid of the last one 10 or 12 years ago. I am sure they made dandy pursuit vehicles, but I'll bet it was hell to try to put a recalcitrant prisoner in the back seat.

But that's only the background. All you Dukes of Hazzard fans pay attention now. One of mother's cousins was a deputy back then. From what I gather, he had a rather colorful career in law enforcement there for a little while. I don't know all the details, but I've heard the tale for years that on one occasion he actually chased a fleeing suspect through a chicken house whilst driving one of the aforementioned Trans Am police cars.

Now, most folks would have visions of feathers flying everywhere right now, so go ahead and savor that visual for a moment before I ruin the story.

It wasn't quite that way y'see, because they were cleaning out the chicken house at the time and the doors on each end were open. Furthermore the suspect was fleeing on foot rather than in an orange Dodge Charger. It does make a better tale when I leave that out don't it? Still pretty damn funny though. I'd say a stunt like that would get him fired nowadays.