Thursday, October 06, 2005

Brainstorms, complete with thunder and lightning!

I have a flat on the Deutz. Rear tire of course. 16.9x30s. I don't have a tire hammer. TC has one, but I was never able to get together with him to borrow it. Thus I had no way to break down said tire, even though I did get the wheel off the tractor Saturday, but that was as far as I got.

So yesterday I was piddling around at the barn and I says to myself "Self, I got an idee!"

I cranked up the Ford and pulled over to where the wheel/tire was lying on the ground and proceeded to set the loader forks down on top of the tire, right beside the rim. Put just enough pressure on it put pressure on the bead to encourage it to come away from the rim. Then took Ye Olde Sledgehammer and whacked the tire right beside the rim.

Pop! Broke the bead on the first whack. I raised the loader, flipped the wheel and proceeded to do the same thing to the other side. Granted, it ain't rocket science, but it do beat the stew outa frailin' away at it with a tire hammer.