Saturday, November 05, 2005

Yes, I am actually planning to write something

Soon.

I admit I have been in the grip of a most peculair lethargy for the past month or so. Most likely stress, but it could very well be simple laziness. It has even carried over into my reading. I recently obtained a Regimental History of the Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry (of whom I've heard rumors of an actual sabre charge at Chickamauga, of all places. I can't think of another battlefield I've been on that is more ill-suited to Cavalry operations than Chickamauga, Kennesaw and Petersburg excepted of course).

Boy! That was a tangent wasn't it?

At any rate, I've not even cracked it open. I have a biography of Billy Mitchell half-finished, Hemmingway's short stories half-finished, bogged down with Shelby Foote in mid-1862... You get the picture.

The only non-fiction book I've made any headway with in the past month is book called Cotton Fields No More: Southern Agriculture, 1865-1980, which I've found extremely interesting.

What might one ask am I reading, since after all, I read all the time?

Louis L'Amour and H. Beam Piper, with Jerry Pournelles' Janissaries thrown in for good measure. All books that I have read before. Strange. Some of them I've read several times. Nothing else seems to hold for interest for very long right and that may be the explanation, I can zip through a L'Amour book in an afternoon.

My subconscious may not want to invest the time in reading anything lengthier than that.

I will hopefully have a story posted tomorrow.