Saturday, December 31, 2005

I just saved a fortune on my car insurance

Not really, but I did run unto a heckuva deal today. All the chicken litter (for fertilizer) I want for 35 bucks a spreader-truck load. One little bitty tiny problem. The fields where I need it the most are far and away too wet to get into with a spreader truck. I told him I'd take five or six loads anyway and have it put on my high ground. I'm hoping this will do my pastures some good come spring.

I swing back and forth on fertilizer, some years I go with nitrate from the co-op, some years I go with chicken litter and some years I don't put out any fertilzer. The topsoil around here is rarely more than a few inches deep unless you're in good bottomland, so I'm hoping a steady diet of litter this coming year in conjunction with a ton or so of lime/acre will help me build up my topsoil and get a better grade of weeds growing around here.