Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Jaegers Smaegers

It's all German to me.

I finally broke out of my reading funk last week. I am halfway finished with David Hackett Fischer's Washington's Crossing. It is one of the best Rev War books I've ever read. I have never really studied the revolution to any great extent, but from what I'm reading now, the tradition version of the battle of Trenton that we were taught in school is completely wrong.

From what Fischer has written, the fable of Washington surprising the hungover-from-a-Christmas debauchery Hessians is just that, a fable. The Hessians were, however, very worn down by constant raids across the river by the Pennsylvania Militia and had been in a high state of alert for several days because of this. There had been so many attacks that Rall (the Hessian commander) kept one of his three regiments under arms at all times, day and night, as well as constant patrols and heavily reinforced pickets all around the town.

Weather had more to do with Washington being able to surprise the Hessians than any after effects of a Christmas drinking party. A storm blew up the night of the crossing. It threw Washington's timetable completely out the window and made moving Knox's Artillery even more difficult, but it also helped to mask the movements of the approaching Continental army from the Hessians in Trenton.

Washington and his officers come out looking rather well, but luck played more of a role in the victory at Trenton than planning or strategy. Washington's battle plan started unraveling before he even marched his troops out of camp, but he carried through in spite of it.

I may do a better book report when I'm finished.