Friday, December 16, 2005

Repo Man

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I am going with TC to do a little repo job, not anything sexy like a car, not even something mundane like a truck.

We're off to repo an offset disc harrow.

This is a rather boring story, but it is sufficently strange that I feel the need to chronicle the event.

TC loaned this thing to a guy down the road about five years ago and he never brought it back. He had carried it over to some leased bottomland about 8 or 10 miles away and never bothered to bring it home. TC wasn't real concerned about it at first, mainly because at the time he wasn't needing it.

Time passed and the "loanee" professed busyness whenever TC would mention it. A couple of years went by and it pretty much slipped TC's mind. When he did happen to think of it, four years had gone by and he figured it was gone... The "loanee" has some associates who are a little on the shady side and TC figured that one of them had came and got the thing.

Last weekend, I talked TC into riding over to look for it. We got there and drove way the hell back in the woods and lo and behold, there it sat in the edge of the field. I almost drove right past it because it was completely overgrown with kudzu. Which I suspect, is the only reason it was still there. In the spring or summer, you'd never be able to find the damn thing.

Amazingly enough, the tires are still up, so we are going over with a tractor, a hydraulic cylinder and a couple of chains tomorrow to drag the thing home. The only possible issue is with the landowner. We haven't talked to him (or her) yet, but I think the reason the disc was left over there is because dumbass (the "loanee") never paid his lease for the year he planted soybeans over there. I figure he was ashamed or afraid to go back after the disc is the reason he never brought it back.

The lesson to be learned here is "don't loan anything to this idiot."

I loaned him a cultipacker several years ago to "use next week and I'll bring it back." Took me six months to get it back. I decided then and there not to loan him anything else.