Thursday, April 13, 2006

Corn, 'maters, 'taters and so forth

I finally broke down and plowed my little garden spot today. I must admit I feel kinda stupid plowing a little plot that isn't even a quarter acre with an 80hp tractor, but it's the only one I have that will pull the bog harrow.

And to make me look even more white trash than usual, the Ferguson is completely naked. I have all of the sheetmetal off so we can paint it.

As to why I'm using a Bog Harrow for the garden, I quit using a turning plow a couple of years ago because I was never any good with it anyway, plus it just adds another step. The bog is heavy even to do the work of a turning plow and it pretty well pulverizes everything anyway. Saves me a few steps in other words.

I used the Deutz and a drag harrow to finish with, so hopefully sometime tomorrow, I will be planting corn....

One of these days, I will take the dozer and clean up around the old spring where my Granddad used to have a watermelon patch (because it's one of the few level places on the farm), get me a little Tuffbilt, or an Allis G, or a Farmall and go hawg wild and plant a whole mess 'o corn. Might even make a dollar or two off of it, or if gas prices keep agoin' up I may go into the moonshining bidness so I afford to drive to work.