Saturday, December 02, 2006

More tall tales from the campfire

Skinner had a weenie roast a month or so back. The usual crowd was there, including Donald, who was in rare form.

Ever wonder where your money has been before? I will try to relate this tale of a twenty-dollar bill in his own words.

"Year or so back, I run off one morning without any cash, so I called my wife and told here to leave a twenty on the front steps and I'd swing back by the house an' git it.

I pulled in a few minutes later and there was half of a twenty under a brick on the front steps. Looked like somebody had just took it and ripped it in half.

I called my wife and asked her what was the big deal and why she'd left me a tore-up twenty. She didn't know what I's talking about and swore up an' down that she'd left it sticking out from under that brick so the wind wouldn't blow it away.

Later that afternoon, I came home and the neighbors’ dog was visiting. When I walked up to the front steps, I saw that he'd left us a little present there in the yard. I noticed they was sumthin' sticking up out of it and sure enough, it was the other half of that twenty. Funny thing is, it was in a perfect roll, just like you'd roll it up to stick in yore pockets.

I set a bucket on top of it to show it to my wife 'cause I knew she wouldn't believe me.

When she got home I said "Honey, you ain't gonna believe this, come take a look at where I found the other half o' that twenty."

I showed it to her and we went on in the house to get a paper towel... I was gonna retrieve that other half. I came back out to get it and it was gone. That dadblamed dog had come and swallered it again."


We asked Donald if he ever got the other half of it back...

Well... this is kinda sad, but the pore ole dog got hit by a car the next day and I never did get the half back. I've still got my half though.... an' I'll get that other half back one of these days 'cause I know where that dog is buried at....