Sunday, December 10, 2006

Truck update II

DR has wheels now, granted they aren't the greatest wheels, but it is transportation.

He was was running a little scared yesterday when we went after it, it's been sitting for several months and we had a heck of a time getting it started, but after we got it going it ran surprisingly well (after we blew the soot out of it).

The gas tank has a hole in it and it's going to need a new starter soon, there is an occasional rattle in the engine that TC thinks may be a lifter. It's intermitent and may go away after he drives it some more and gets the oil changed. The rocker panel on the drivers side has leprosy (I'm surprised it isn't worse... I've never had good luck with Chevrolets and rust).

But, for five hundred bucks, what do you expect?

On the plus side, it has a tool box, bedliner and is 4 wheel drive (which actually works). It's not beat all to hell and it should clean up pretty nice.

I discovered the reason for his jumping the gun on purchasing it... it seems he was about half drunk the other day when we went to look at it... my head was stopped up so I didn't smell it and although he acted a little groggy, I didn't think anything about it because he said he'd just got out of bed. It usually takes him an hour or two to get woke up good so it never occurred to me that he was in the condition he was in.

I looked over his Dodge when we robbed the battery out of it to go in the S-10... tried to pull the dipstick and it literally got stuck halfway out... I'm willing to bet he hasn't checked the oil in that truck in weeks... which is probably why that pretty '97 Dodge is now a lawn ornament, at least for several months.