Thursday, December 07, 2006

Truck Update

DR is still without wheels at the moment, but with luck, come Saturday, he will be tooling around in an '84 S-10.

I took him to look at it Sunday evening and the dork ended up making a down payment on it without ever hearing it run...

Long story, but I took him around to the title pawn places last Saturday and we didn't have much luck (the boy is 42 years old and although he can drive a stick, he doesn't like to), so I called Junior at the barber shop, who is always wheeling and dealing with something and asked him if he had anything. He didn't, but he knew an ole boy who did have two S-10 pickups for sale at $600 each, so I took DR to LOOK.

The one he liked needed a battery, so he couldn't test drive it then. My intention was to let him look and if he liked one, to go back Saturday with TC and look 'em over again (with a battery this time). We got to talking to the owner, who seemed like a decent guy (his references were good anyway) and kind of told him the situation and he told DR he'd let him have it for $500 to get it out of his yard, whereaupon DR whipped out his wallet and said "I ain't got the money, but can I give you a hundert to hold it fer me til I git my bonus check?"

I'm standing there flabbergasted that the boy was that damn dumb... He knows better than to buy a pig in poke like that.

We got in the truck and headed home and I said "ummm, DR, I meant for you to LOOK at the damn thing, not buy it without driving it."

"Well, damnit, why didn't y'tell me that fore we got there?"