Saturday, June 13, 2009

I'm getting dumber by the day

I've got the front end off the 3600 right, putting a new radiator and water pump on. Not really that much of a chore, until my inner moron kicked in. I got the bright idea to clean some of the crud off the block while I had it exposed. Sprayed 2 cans of good ole' gunk cleaner/degreaser on it, dragged the waterhose down there... and promptly filled the $^&%$ intake full of water.

Now, that isn't a good thing to do on any engine, but on a diesel it's velly, velly bad. Sooooo, my relatively simple chore turned into a fairly involved project, because I had to pull the injectors and drain the oil. I thought I was going to have to pull the manifold too, but managed to dodge that bullet. I invested $2.65 in a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, poured it into the holes for the injectors and spent about half an hour with a wrench cycling the crankshaft by hand until I got all of the Marvelous Mysterious oil out of it. That still wouldn't have been too bad, but instead of doing it this morning whilst it was relatively cool, I had to be a big dummy and do it during the heat of the day.

Hmmm, also managed to break Sweetie's ™ pushmower today too, but my current lawnmower misadventures is another story for another day.